Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whatcha doin' on my roof, creeping cross the shingles


Like the Jesus and Mary Chain (and, if Rock Band memory (I sang) serves me right, Garbage), I'm happy when it rains. When it rains like this, it's time to pull out the country music.
WHAAATTT? Country? That's right, country. And I don't mean Brookes & Dunn (whoever they are). I mean...
16 Horsepower. That's right, Sinner Man. Country, if country can be influenced by Nick Cave and Joy Division. The kind of folk/blues/country/gospel that makes you wet your pants in fear of the Day of Judgment. The kind that would never have a lyric quite as asinine as (I paraphrase) "I like mustard on my hotdog, and mustard on my fries." (I think the singer may have liked America? Presumably one cannot find these condiments in other countries? I'm not sure, I lost the narrative thread when blood began spurting from my ears). It just feels right for this kind of weather.
(I suppose I should mention that Ryan Adams' "Heartbreaker" feels right too, but a different sort of right).
I love rediscovering music. I haven't listened to 16 Horsepower in a while and today, everything clicked. I love that feeling because it reminds me why I fell in love with the band in the first place. See them with fresh eyes, blah blah blah, yah yah yah. (Hey, did you know that Firefox is just fine with three blahs, no comma, but not three yahs, no comma. Discrimination.)

No comments:

Post a Comment